Target Media been performing backfile scanning (existing active paper medical records) for years. Today, it is often performed in conjunction or in parallel with when a practice is moving to an EMR system such as Docman.
When called in to perform backfile scanning for our NHS clients and we make our recommendations to scan to searchable PDF, as we do in over 90% of the cases, we’re often asked: Why PDF?
The reasons are simple, and we’ve put the top 10 reasons here for your reference:
- Viewable with a free download (Adobe Reader) or built in to many operating systems and browsers.
- Compatible with both PC, Apple, iOS and Google Android devices
- Totally searchable (patient name, symptom, phrase, keyword string, etc.) with OCR
- The search results window will display an abstract on the side of each search result allowing the user to quickly find the information required.
- Searched keywords allow for quick comparison and trend-spotting.
- Offers security to prevent deletion, alteration, misfiling, etc.
- Can be marked up without comprising the integrity of the original scan
- Can be run side-by-side with any EMR application
- Can be used as an alternative to EMR for simple document management, allowing you to append pages to any PDF patient file.
- Turns your mounds of paper into meaningful information that can be called up within seconds.
Conversion of paper files is a large, time-consuming task requiring specialized skills and impeccable organization. At Target Media we have developed a comprehensive medical record scanning solution to get you on your way to a paperless, or paperlight, practice. Target Media now offers document OCR at no additional cost, as well as a choice to receive your scanned documents burned to a CD/DVD or on USB stick or hard drive.
Call or email us for a complimentary demo of the benefits of an OCR-searchable medical record on your own computer and from the comfort of your own office!